Saturday, November 29, 2014

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas - Book Review



















Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas 
Publication: May 7, 2013
Series: Throne of Glass #1 
Format: Paperback 
My Rating: ♥♥♥♥

Summary:

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. 

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

My Review:

“No. I can survive well enough on my own— if given the proper reading material.”  

I thought this was a great book. It took a few chapters for me to get into the book but I was hooked. I was hoping for more battle scenes but this was a great read. It didn't reach my expectations, I didn't really like how they switched the multiple point of views but getting over that the book itself was unique and intriguing. 

- Celaena
First of all, I love her name. Celaena is an extraordinary heroine and can kick some butt. I wish this was in first person in her point of view because I loved her the most out of everybody in this book. There were so many damn good scenes with her. I understand now why everyone loves her, she is pretty amazing. 

- Dorian
Eh, I like Dorian but I think he is a little too flirtatious at times, which kind of annoyed me. I didn't love him but he was an alright character. It was obvious that he really did like her not loved. I take love really seriously and it seemed like he was getting close to loving but seriously? It seemed a little cliche and didn't feel right. 

- Chaol
Chaol, on the other hand, I loved him. He was able to control himself a little better. I was secretly hoping he would crack at times though. Chaol was my third favorite character (Nehemia has to be second favorite) through this book. There is no denying that he secretly wants Celaena even if he won't admit it to himself. I want to see how these characters grow in the next books in the series. I am excited to read more of Chaol, I really love him. 

- Nehemia
I had my doubts about her, but in the end she was awesome. I think she is the right kind of person that Celaena needs in her life right now. She is a great friend, even though I had this whole issue with her in the beginning, that soon passed. 

Overall, I thought this was just an extremely original and creative read. I would say I rated this 4 instead of 5 because of the lack of things that felt missing. I didn't like the vibe I got from Dorian, he is an amazing character to some but I just don't really like him. This didn't reach my expectations but it was still a great book I picked up and I would recommend a lot of people to read this book and see for themselves if this is a great book or not. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a new twist of things and is tired of the same books repeating. Let me know what you thought if you gave this book a shot!

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually reading Throne of Glass right now, and I think Dorian is so much better. It might just be because I'm on the first 50 pages but Dorian seems so much nicer to Celaena. Great review though!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be looking for your review once you finish the book. I don't know, I just loved Chaol from the beginning. I did like Dorian at first, because he was nicer to her but I liked Chaol much more. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Great review, glad you enjoyed this! The 2nd book is even better, you'll love it <3

    ~Carina @My Addiction:Books

    ReplyDelete